Articles and News of the Campaign by the Municipality of Kings to Close Waterville Airport
- Letter: Kings County Council Needs a Shakup (23 July) A letter to the Kings County Register and Advertiser. Ted Davison comments on statements that Warder Brothers says there needs to be dialog about the Waterville Airport. But none was offered when it made any difference before the airport was closed.
- MOK Councillor alleges bias concerning location of airport in Relocation Committee meeting - Kings County News July 11, 2014
- Waterville Airport Hanger Owners file a lawsuit against the MOK Council due to their closure of the airport. – Kings County News July 09, 2014
- No discussion of delaying Waterville airport closure (17 June 2014) Article about MOK Council discussion – again no movement.
- Push to Save Airport Continues Chronicle-Herald (18 June 2014) article on AVFA’s continuing attempt to extend the operation of Waterville Airport.
- Kings County Council votes to re-negotiate drive-in theatre lease. This article mentions WACL and its relationship with the drive-in theatre and gives more insight into MOK council politics. (Kings County News – 17 June 2014))
- Skydiving business moving from Waterville to South Maitland (09 June 2014) Description of the necessity of moving Sky Diving to Maitland.
- Airpark being floated in Canning area to replace Waterville airport
June 3, 2014 article in the Advertiser/Register
- Waterville Airport Open House as Part of Apple Blossom Festival
June 3, 2014 article published in the Advertiser/Register
- Waterville Airport Open House by AVFA
Kentville Advertiser article – 21 May – announcement of 31 May open house and discussion of value of the Kings County Airport and why it should stay open.
- Announcement of Waterville Airport Closure
- “Imaginary Industrial Expansion Destroys a Real Airport in Nova Scotia” Article Published in the EAA online Newsletter “Bits and Pieces” (by Larry Bogan)
- Letter from N.S. Government Department of Economic and Rural Development
This letter states that the N.S. Government will only provide funds for a small fraction of what would be needed for a new airport in Kings County.
- Letter from Michelin to MOK Re: Notice of Installation of LNG facility at Waterville Site
When this is built it could kill any chance of re-opening CCW3. On the other hand the existence of Waterville Airport could stop its construction (Is this why the airport is being closed?)
- Don Connolly interview of Ian Patrick about Saving the Waterville Airport
This is an audio of the interview took place on the morning of 24 April 2014. Ian informs CBC’s Information Morning that there is no expansion of the Michelin Plant planned at Wateville, and that the destruction of the airport is unnecessary and expensive in jobs and money.
- Global News Interview with Ian Patrick – 25 April (Video) presenting arguments why the Waterville Airport should not be closed.
- 25 April Chronicle Herald - Fight to Save the Airport Article - an article by Gordon Delaney about pilots wanting the Waterville Airport to remain open
- A ‘SurveyMonkey’ survey about Closing the Waterville Airport– Fill this out once to add your opinion.
- 25 April Interview of Tom MacEwan (CAO of Kings Municipality) by Don Connolly of CBC Information Morning – about why MOK is closing the Kings County Airport
- COPA eFlight article on the Waterville Airport Problem highlighting sudden unexpected closure of the airport and the suit by the Hanger Owners with mention of the role COPA can play. – by Water Isenor
Taskforce Blogs and Press Releases
These are briefs … click on the title to read the whole item
It is past the deadline date of 22nd August and there is no news from the Municipality of Kings with respect to the counter proposal. The following is a link to an article on the proposal. Airport Lawsuit could be withdrawn if Kings County Accepts Counter Proposal
Letter to the Editor – Chronicle Herald – 7 August 2014 Counterpoint: Winging it on waterville airport move
Interview by Rick Howe of News 95.7 fm of Ian Patrick on the Airport Closure Audio Archive with Ian’s interview at the beginning
On 26th July the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the King County Council, Mr. MacEwan, posted a disertata and proposals (22 pages) called ‘Airport Relocation Stategy’ for the council to consider. You can read it at – Click Here for direct link On the 29th of July In a four hour session, discussion among the … Continue reading Kings County to force the remnants of the Waterville airport to only look to going to CFB Greenwood
Soon you will see these signs around Kings County to urge residents to contact their councilors to urge then to preserve avaiation in the region by not closing the Waterville airport. We have ordered 50 signs that will be available soon. Below is a copy of the informational pamphlet that will be used to inform the … Continue reading Stop-Airport-Closure Pamphlets and Signs
This was presented at the last meeting but there was no time to discuss it. Comments for changes or corrects are welcomed. If you find it useful and wish to post it, print it out. If there is enough interest, we can have a bunch printed commercially and distributed. Click on the image to … Continue reading Poster – Save our Airport
On the Main AVFA page you will see a small count down in the upper right corner. This timer tells you how many days until October 1, 2015 when the Waterville Airport is scheduled to closed by the council of Municipality of Kings (MOK). Rush to Get Rid of an Airport Despite the pleas … Continue reading Planned Airport Closure getting closer – timer
One of the proposals for a place to move the Waterville Airport is to a “Kings Airpark” on Saxon Street. This was put forth at a meeting of the Airport Taskforce on 18 May and accepted by 26 members of the AVFA. The Goals, Plans, Proposal and suggest solutions to problems was put forth in … Continue reading Kings Airpark Proposed but not a solution to the need for an airport in Kings County.
MLA Keith Irving pulls together groups with interest to discuss future plans for airport land May 8, 2014 WATERVILLE – A week has passed since a round-table discussion occurred between the interested parties involved in the closure of the Kings County Municipal Airport, and nothing has become any more certain than it had been leading … Continue reading Michelin, MOK, Province and Aviation Community meet about Waterville Airport
Marathon council meeting sees airport-friendly councillors scolded for defending constituents May 7, 2014 WATERVILLE – Constituents of Kings County faced adversity once again as their councillors were muzzled by the Warden for speaking out in defense of the Kings County Municipal Airport. “That is not on this evening’s agenda,” cried Warden Diana Brothers as Councillors … Continue reading Warden Dodges Airport Again